Saturday, April 23, 2005

Italian Braised Pork from Christy (March 19, 2001)

Wow! So many yummy-sounding recipes! I can't wait to try them all. I remember Laurie's butterscotch brownies from my last trip East; they were delicious. Everything else sounds equally good. I can vouch for the dutch baby too, of course. It's one of my favorite things. Mom made corned beef hash with fresh corned beef Friday night, which is another of my favorites.

I don't know if any of you got the message I tried to send on Friday. I seem to have hit a hotmail glitch, and I'm assuming you didn't. I wanted to tell you all that I've discovered the wonders of braised pork. It doesn't dry out! What I tried to send on Friday was an italian stovetop pork roast recipe. Using a saucepan that has a tight-fitting lid and that is only slightly bigger than the roast, you brown the roast well on all sides in a mixture of butter and olive oil, salt it, and add a half-cup of red wine vinegar, three bay leaves, and six to eight peppercorns to the pan. Turn the pork fatty-side up, cover the saucepan, and let it cook for two hours or so...et voila! You end up with a tender roast and nice pan juices. I was worried about the seasonings (three bay leaves?) but it had a good flavor.

Last night, I braised pork chops. I browned them slowly over medium heat in a skillet, then added some balsamic vinegar, some red wine vinegar, a bay leaf, peppercorns, and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic. I let them simmer in that for an hour or so, turning them over once. The skillet didn't have a very tight-fitting lid, so the pan ran almost dry a couple of times, and the pan juices ended up very dark. The chops were even better than the roast, and easy too! I served them with mashed potatoes and steamed carrots. I'd like to try them braised in apple cider and/or calvados, perhaps with some white wine.

I bought chili oil last night so that I can try the noodles sometime this week. Looks like I'll have to buy artichokes too. I swore that I wouldn't eat chocolate until Easter...let's hope I can resist the "mudpie" recipe until then.

And now, back to work for me. Hope you're all having good days.

Love,

Christy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home