Saturday, April 23, 2005

Swedish Cream Cookies from Christy (March 8, 2001)

Hello everyone! Thanks for the updates--and the (in)famous zucchini relish recipe. I can almost taste it. I guess your perspective on the relish depends on whether you lived through the summer of the Great Zucchini Explosion.

Laurie asked for the recipe for the Swedish cream cookies I used to make at Easter. I can almost taste them, too. They must have an appalling fat content, but boy, the cookies are good:

SWEDISH CREAM COOKIES

2 3/4 C sifted flour
Dash of salt
1/2 C heavy cream
1 C soft butter
Sugar
1 C (one 6-oz pkg) semisweet chocolate pieces, melted over hot water

Mix first 4 ingredients thoroughly. Chill. Roll out on sugared board to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with tiny fancy cutters. Bake on greased cookie sheets in preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for about 8 minutes. Put together with melted chocolate, putting a dot of the chocolate in the center of each. Makes about 10 dozen very small, very rich cookies.

***

If I'm remembering correctly, it's crucial for the dough to be quite cold if you don't want to make a sticky mess all over the kitchen (and if you don't have my mother to clean up after you!). I sometimes dipped the cookies in chocolate, I think, but I never made sandwiches.

I'm sorry to hear about all the joint problems, but I'm very jealous to hear about the gardening. I have to fight my neighbors for gardening rights, and they're the kind of sneaky people who plant bulbs in the fall.

Love,

C.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home