Saturday, April 23, 2005

Roasted Potatoes from Christy (March 5, 2001)

Good morning (those of you who are on the West Coast) / afternoon (those of you who are elsewhere)!

I've been trying to expand my cooking horizons lately, and I'm always thinking about all of you. With those two things in mind, I thought I'd see if anyone else might be interested in exchanging recipes as a group. It may be silly of me to suggest it, since I'm always so far behind on my e-mail correspondence, but I really miss all of you. This might be a fun way to keep in touch, and with so many good cooks in the family, a useful one, too!

Let me know what you think of the idea. Hope all's well with all of you. Ed, I hear through the grapevine that you're recovering from sinus surgery; hope you're not too sore.

Love,

Christy/opher (who made the best roasted potatoes she's ever made last night: take waxy white new potatoes, scrub and pierce them, and zap them in the microwave for 3-5 minutes on high, until they're slightly soft but not entirely cooked. Balancing each potato in turn on its side in a shallow wooden spoon, make crosswise cuts every 1/4 to 1/2 inch not quite all the way through the potato. The sides of the spoon should help prevent you from cutting all the way through, but be warned: they're not an infallible guide. Brush each potato with olive oil, working it down into the cuts, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in a 375-degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until they're soft on the inside, browned and crispy on the outside. You can add anything you'd like to the olive oil, of course; I used half standard olive oil and half rosemary oil, and added garlic and a bit of white wine vinegar. The cut is called a Swedish fan cut, presumably because the potatoes fan out while they're cooking and some clever Swede came up with the idea. Precooking the potatoes in the microwave helps keep them moist--you could also parboil them--and the cuts give them extra surface area to be browned. Yum.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home