Sunday, April 24, 2005

Barley

I know, I know: I promised you legumes, and here I am writing about a grain. I can't help myself--I just had an interesting conversation with my friend Warren about barley. He cooks up barley and uses it as a side dish in place of rice, then throws the leftovers into soups and stir-frys. The subject came up, in fact, because he was cooking a stir-fry while we were on the phone. I'm intrigued. I don't think I've ever had barley except in soup.

Now back to 1) studying, 2) laundry, and 3) making up a pot of lentil soup to eat during the week. (See, I knew I'd get a legume in here somehow.) The lentil soup is a new recipe with ginger and garlic--I'll let you know how it goes.

Love to all,

Christy

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I think it sounds good, too! I found a recipe for barley "risotto" at Epicurious (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108541?); I'd like to try something like that, although perhaps with less butter.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Oooh--here's another good-sounding (and simple) recipe. This one's for a barley casserole:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/20057?

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home