Monday, January 23, 2006

Spaetzle

Last night I made one of everyone's favorite dinners. Homemade chicken noodle soup with carrots and spaetzle. We also had cornbread (see recipe below). Anyway, this is so easy and most of you may have already made this type of dish. I gently boil the leftover chicken from a roasted chicken. Debone the meat, add carrots and make the spaetzle adapted from a recipe out of Joy of Cooking.
2eggs
Combine them with 1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
samll amount of nutmeg

Beat the ingredients well. Drop small bits of batter from a spoon or use spaetzle maker (about $5 item) into boiling chicken stock. Let simmer until noodles are done, about 2-3 minutes. We generally have this meal twice a month. The spaetzle maker is worth it as the noodles come out really nice or you could use a grater. Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Yum! Thanks, Laurie! I was intrigued by the recipe when you first posted it--and then Mom and I had spaetzle for the first time a few weeks ago at Ivar's. Their version included some herbs and was absolutely delicious. It was actually only included with Mom's order...but I managed to steal several bites from her plate nonetheless. I'll have to find myself a spaetzle maker.

Love,

C.

6:44 PM  
Blogger MaggieMom said...

That sounds delish! Wish Tony liked chicken. Maybe I'll try it with some other type of broth & meat. I'm stuck in a rut in my cooking right now. Thanks for the great idea!

I'll have to think of something to post again. Now that Medicare Part D deadline has passed, I should have more free time to play with recipes. MaggieMom

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home