Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Anderson Recipe Exchange

12/15/05

I was reading through some of Christy's comments about the Spanish Rice recipe that was from Tony's Mom.

I remember that it was cooked uncovered, but I'm not sure of the temperature - probably 350 to 375. Timing is probably between 45 minutes to 1 hour. Depends on the rice and how much of the juice you put in.

Just reading through the Blog inspired me to cook the Spanish Rice for dinner tonight. I'll probably be able to give you a more defininate time after we have dinner. I just put it in the oven at 375 with a timer to check on it in 45 minutes. (The 45 minutes was quite short of done - I turned the oven up to 400 and set the timer for another 20 minutes. It's just now done.)

Instead of just Salt & pepper, I used Montreal Steak Seasoning (or grill seasoning), along with the sage. Tonight I had a red pepper rather than a green one, so will let you know how that turns out. Providing, of course, I remember my password to get back in. I almost had to clean up my desk to find where I had noted the password. I almost gave up.

Christy's coming over on Sunday & we'll be baking Christmas cookies! That'll be fun, and we can have more variety if we're both cooking and share the batches of cookies.

I most likely will be doing Laurie's Buckeyes as one of the cookies. I had a similar one the other day, but they had added rice krispies in with the peanut butter, and some other seasoning I didn't like as well. Think I'll stick with the normal recipe.

Don't know what else I'll come up with - probably raspberry bars.

Here's a recipe that was in my Mom's recipe box. I haven't made it yet, but it was earmarked to share with you when you were all here for her funeral. Somehow I never sent copies:

Apple Cake - Swedish
Bake at 350

Beat 1 egg till light & fluffy, slowly add 1 cup sugar; then add 1/4 cup salad oil and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Sift together 1 cup flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp soda, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg & add to first mixture. Stir in 2 cups diced apples and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Bake in greased & floured 8 x 8 x 2" pan - 350 degrees - about 30 minutes.


Another of my Mom's recipes (I haven't made this one, either):

Beer Biscuits

4 cups biscuit Mix
3 tbsp sugar
1 (12 oz) can of beer, room temperature.

Mix as usual - Drop Biscuits - Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees.


Here's a recipe I used quite a bit - probably quite fattening, as we tended to keep eating it. I haven't made it for quite a while. I got the recipe from a friend of Marilyn's and mine we knew from high school, maybe even grade school days. Maribel lived on Mercer Island and Marilyn & I used to get together with her for the Mercer Island Home Tour when our kids were small & probably in school.
Maribel had some of the greatest recipes. This recipe makes a good show if you do the full recipe in an angel food cake pan. In later years I cut it down to using 1 loaf of bread dough and did it in a loaf pan. Not as showy, but still tasted great and we didn't eat so much of it.

I think the recipe came from the local paper on Mercer Island. I'll copy the comments about the recipe as well.

Cheese Monkey Bread:

This bread is easy to do, fun to do and spectacular looking on a table with Italian dishes, such as spaghetti or lasagne. It's also good with roasts or beef dishes and makes a lively accompaniment to leftover turkey.

Judges saw this recipe as a creative way to use a convenience food. It puffs out over the pan and brown to a delightful size. Irene Fukano's recipe is a winner: Serves 4 - 10 (makes one large loaf.)

1 package of Rhodes Frozen bread, thawed (3 loaves per package)
1 cube margarine, melted (I suggest real butter)
chopped onions
Parmesan cheese
garlic powder

Form bread dough into golf ball sized rounds and roll first in melted margarine; then roll in chopped onions; and finally in Parmesan cheese. The onions and cheese will stick to the butter.

Layer into a 10-inch tube pan and sprinkle each layer with garlic powder. Let rise in a warm place until level with rim of pan (3-4 hours)

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Serve hot with butter.

(I never served extra butter with it - it's not needed).

One hint - I found that there was also frozen dough for rolls - already formed into the balls. You could try substituting that. I hope the frozen bread dough is still on the market - I haven't looked for it lately.

Also, as I recall, you might want to put something under the pan to catch drips, as I think some of the butter ended up on the oven floor. Also, check for wayward pieces coming up over the pan & falling off - you might have to tuck some back down before they fall.

Hmmm - maybe I'll have to try this one again - it's been a long time.

Have a great Christmas & Happy New Year!

Love & XXXOOO
MaggieMom

3 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I love the sheer elegance of the beer biscuits! I'm sorry we didn't have a chance to make them on Christmas--perhaps for Sunday dinner this week?

xoxo

LKCJla;ty

11:34 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I finally remembered my password after I've written two lengthy comments that wouldn't post. Anyway, great to see the new comment. I will try all the recipes eventually but especially the apple cake. How did the buckeye's go or did you end up making them?

I spotted a recipe in the paper for pork chops made with apple cider and other ingredients. I happen to be making pork chops and have some apple cider on hand so i'll post the recipe if we end up liking it. Have a great day!! love, laurie

8:00 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

The pork chops were ok. I prefer the way I usually make them which is to brown them on high in butter and olive oil and then let them finish cooking in the oven while I finish dinner.

Have a great day! Laurie

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home