Monday, April 25, 2005

Spinach Strawberry Salad

Hi all,

I wanted to share this recipe for spinach salad that is so good. I've never been a fan of spinach until I tried fresh uncooked spinach. Andi and I had this salad at our book club meeting and both loved it. I've made it a dozen times and still love it. It makes a big bowl which does not keep overnight. So I usually make it twice using half the dressing for each night.

Spinach Strawberry Salad

1 lb. spinach
1 pt strawberries or more!
1/2 c. crumbled bleu cheese
1/2 c. walnuts
Dressing:
1/2 cup sugar
2 T. sesame seeds
1 T. poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp. minced onion
1/4 tsp. Dale sauce or substitute Worchestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. vegetable oil

Mix all dressing ingredients and refrigerate for at least one hour. Clean and quarter strawberries. Roughly chop walnuts. Toss spinach, strawberries, walnuts and bleu cheese with dressing, just before serving. I don't use the bleu cheese as several people at our house won't eat it. Enjoy! This is a really fun salad for summer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Oooh! This sounds good. (I'd make it with the bleu cheese, however; I love bleu cheese.)

What is Dale sauce? I've never heard of it.

Love,

C.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Hi Christy,

Dale sauce is a particular brand of steak sauce. I didn't buy it just for the recipe since it takes such a small amount. As often as I make this salad I may pick it up sometime if I can remember when I'm at the store!

By the way, thanks for getting this going again. I'm looking forward to trying some new recipes.
love, Laurie

4:08 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Hi Laurie!

I can understand why you'd make this a lot--it sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it.

I, too, love raw spinach. I've also discovered that I like it cooked, sometimes, too, if it's highly spiced or combined with cheese. (There's a pizza shop in University Village that does a deep-dish spinach pizza that's fantastic.)

I'm glad that this is up and running again. I'm really enjoying reconnecting with everyone (except poor Katie--I think I inadvertently sent the message and invitation to her old e-mail address, but I've corrected that now).

Love,

Christy

11:39 AM  
Blogger MaggieMom said...

Hi!

The strawberry salad sounds very tasty. Now that we're back from our short RV trip I have time to look over this blog and see what's here & maybe try some of the recipes. I'll definitely try this one. I make a related type of salad using romaine lettuce, dried cranberries or raisins, walnuts or pecans, slices or pieces of any fresh fruit (grapefruit, strawberries, mangoes, pears, etc.) and use a raspberry vinaigrette and top it with a small amount of shredded parmesan cheese. Looking forward to experimenting! Love, Aunt Maggie

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home